Thursday, June 14, 2012

Love is like a butterfly...

DSCN1290


DSCN1289

I was inspired to make this project on the day of my good friend’s wedding. I was out for a walk that morning and came upon a patch of milkweed along the way. I was surprised to actually find several caterpillars munching on leaves, and figured that by the time Amber & Jacob got back from their honeymoon these little creatures would be chrysalises – a perfect gift, just waiting to hatch into beautiful “wedding butterflies.” I snagged a few and raised them for a couple weeks, gathering fresh milkweed leaves every 1-2 days (I had an internship with Michigan Butterflies last summer, making me an expert caterpillar-raiser. If you need more information about raising Monarchs, there are great websites available, or just ask me!).

Amber’s mom actually gave me a couple vases of flowers from the wedding reception – Mason jars to be more exact! I decided to use one of these for the chrysalises. Wedding-day jars and wedding-day butterflies! Once the flowers died, I threw them out and cleaned out the jar. My mom had some spare fabric in the basement, and I found some mesh/net white fabric to place over the top. It’s important to allow free-flowing air into the jar – otherwise moisture may build up and cause problems for the insects.

Once the caterpillars formed their chrysalises on the top of their temporary cage (a Tupperware container), I used my butterfly internship skills to pull the chrysalises from the top and hot-glue them to a stick. Remember to make sure they have plenty of space for the butterflies to emerge and open their wings!

DSCN1288

I then decorated the jar with twine, flowers, and a small piece of paper with a quote reading:

Love is like a butterfly. It goes wherever it pleases and pleases wherever it goes.

I love this project not only because it combines some creativity with my Biology interests, but it’s for two of my great friends for a very special occasion. Congrats to you two & may your love be like the butterflies!

--Jenny

1 comment:

  1. Now there is one less chrysslise and one more butterfly in the world. Thanks, Jenny! They are fantastic. What a wonderful idea!

    ReplyDelete